Recruitment : English Advisor/Editor for Economic Affairs Division
The Permanent Mission of Japan to the International Organizations in Geneva, Switzerland, is seeking an English Advisor/Editor for its Economic Affairs Division.
The position is full-time and based in our office in Geneva. The starting date is February to March 2022.
Duties include the following:
- copyediting and proofreading speeches and statements written in English on a wide range of issues to be delivered primarily at meetings of the World Trade Organization among other Geneva-based international organizations
- copyediting and proofreading various correspondence from the Mission, including press releases, letters, and notes verbales, as well as content for the Mission website
- advising diplomats on appropriate wording and tone on diplomatically sensitive issues
- potentially attending meetings at the WTO and writing summary reports
- potentially some drafting/writing of speeches, statements, and website content
- some translation of speeches or documents from Japanese to English (if capable)
- some translation and interpreting between French and English (if capable)
- Candidates must be native speakers of English
- have impeccable English grammar, copyediting, proofreading, and writing skills (professional experience a plus)
- have a bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, international relations, or other related field (graduate degree a plus)
- have a strong interest in international trade and current affairs
- be computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Office
- be highly organized and detail-oriented
- Japanese language ability (Please state your level on CV), desirably, 2-kyu level or higher qualification on the Japanese-Language Proficiency Test
- French language ability (If applicable, please state your level on CV)
- Familiarity with and professional experience using reputable English style and usage texts such as the Chicago Manual of Style
- Knowledge of the WTO and the multilateral trading system
- Starting salary will depend on educational level and experience
- Health insurance is covered in part by the Mission
- Pension program available
- Relocation costs will not be covered by the Mission
- No housing allowance will be provided
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter, a CV with a recent photo, and a copy of a passport or other ID to the following email address.
Only applications in English will be accepted. No phone calls please. The deadline for submission is midnight, 10 January 2022(Geneva time).
Candidates will initially be assessed on their level of relevant experience and education. Those who pass the initial screening will be contacted to take part in a written assessment and video interview.